Question: Consider the following statements in the context of Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy, 2018 concluded on July 1st, 2018.
(a) It was the 37th and last edition of this tournament.
(b) This was Australia’s 15th Champions Trophy title.
(c) India has reached the final twice and won only once.
(d) In 2019 this tournament will be replaced by Hockey Pro League (HPL).
Which one of the aforesaid statements is not true?
- The 37th and last edition of the Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy, 2018 concluded in Breda, Netherlands. (June 23rd-1stJuly, 2018)
- Organizer – International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Sponsor – Rabobank
- Competition Results:
- Gold Medal – Australia (15th title), 3-1 in penalty shootout
- Silver Medal – India
- Bronze Medal – Netherlands (defeated Argentina 2-1)
- Belgium and Pakistan got 5th and 6th ranked respectively.
- Indian team’s captain was SV Sunil and Coach was Harendra Singh.
- Individual Awards given in the Competition:
- Best Player, presented by Rabobank: Aran Zelewski (Australia)
- Best Goalkeeper, Presented by ONVZ: PR Sreejesh (India)
- Hero Top Goal Scorer – Gonzalo Peillat (Argentina) (6 goals)
- Best Rising Player, presented by Volvo: Jake Harvie (Australia)
- Best Coach, presented by Deloitte: Colin Batch (Australia)
- Best Goal, presented by Auping: Mirco Pruyser (Netherlands) – Fifth goal of the match Vs. Belgium
- FIH is going to launch Hockey Pro League (HPL) in January 2019; a new competition in place of Champions Trophy, World League Semi-Finals and World League Finals.
- The league will have 9 men’s and 9 women’s teams.
- Each team will play 8 home and 8 away matches.
- The women’s event will be contested between Argentina, Australia, China, England/Great Britain, Germany, India, Netherlands, New Zealand and USA.
- The men’s teams were confirmed as Argentina, Australia, Belgium, England/Great Britain, Germany, India, Netherlands, New Zealand and Pakistan, the latter playing their home matches in Scotland.
- A total of 144 one-off matches (i.e. excluding Grand Final) will be played in the League.
- Matches will be organized every year from January to June.
- Each team will have a place in the league for a minimum of four years. (Until 2022)
See also the links below:-