Question- “Cyclotrons” are used –
(a)To produce radioisotopes.
(b)To produce cyclone.
(c)To produce tornedo.
(d)None of the above.
- Cyclone-30, the biggest cyclotron in India for medical application became operational this month.
- The cyclone-30 machine situated at Kolkata –based variable energy cyclotron centre under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- The machine started working for the first time when a 30 MeV beam reached the faraday cup last week.
- Beam from this facility was used to produce 18F (Fluorine-18 isotope) for the preparation of [18 FlFluorodeoxyglucose (FDG), a radio-pharmaceutical used by Board of Radiation & Isotope Technology (BRIT).
- The addition of Cyclone-30 will increase the availability of radioisotopes and bring down the cost of treatment.
- They are used to produce radioisotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic use for cancer care.
- Radiations from these isotopes are used to destroy cancer cells.