Question-Who has been appointed by the government as a new chairman of Atomic Energy Commission and secretary of department of Atomic Energy (DAE)?
(a)Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas
(d)None of the above
- The government has appointed scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas as chairman of Atomic Energy Commission and secretary of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- He has been appointed in place of Shekhar Basu.
About Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas-
- Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas is a Mechanical Engineering graduate from MS University, Vadodara.
- He is a scientist.
- He completed his training in BARC training school in 1979and after he joined fuel design and development section of rector engineering in BARC.
- He is at present Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
Atomic Energy Commission-
- It was established in August 1948 in Department of Scientific Research.
- The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) was setup on August 3, 1954 under the direct charge of the Prime Minister through a Presidential Order.
- Later, on government resolution, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in the Department of Atomic Energy on March 1, 1958.
- According to the Resolution constituting the AEC, the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Atomic Energy is ex-officio Chairman of the Commission.
- The other Members of the AEC are appointed on the recommendation of the Chairman, AEC and after that approved by the Prime Minster.
The functions of the Atomic Energy Commission–
- To organise research in atomic science in the country;
- To train, atomic scientists in the country;
- To promote nuclear research in commission’s own laboratories as well as in India;
- To undertake searching of atomic minerals in India and to extract such minerals for use on industrial scale.