Question: Recently, Indian Naval (IN) ship Sumedha, a Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel (NOPV), has been deployed to undertake joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives. Which f the given is not true in regards to this?
(a) The vessel will be deployed from 9th-17th May, 2018
(b) This vessel has been deployed to monitor the Special Economic Zone (EEZ) of Maldives.
(c) This deployment has been done as a part of Navy’s ‘mission based deployment’.
(d) From 11th-17th May 2018, this vessel will monitor the Maldives’s Special Economic Zone with the Maldives’s National Defense Forces (MNDF).
- From 09th to 17th May 2018, Indian Naval Ship Sumedha, a Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel (NOPV), has been deployed to undertake joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives.
- This deployment has been done as part of Indian Navy’s ‘Mission Based Deployments’.
- The ship would undertake an Operational Turnaround (OTR) at Male from 11 to 12 May 2018.
- During which the ship would interact and impart training to Maldives’ National Defence Forces (MNDF) personnel.
- Sumedha would also embark MNDF personnel onboard and undertake joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives from 12 to 15 May 2018.
- The MNDF personnel would be disembarked at Male, on completion of the EEZ surveillance.
- Two officers and eight sailors of the Indian Navy’s Marine Commando (MARCO) cadre are currently conducting the 2nd Asymmetric Warfare Training Exercise ‘Ekatha 2018’ at Maldives, from 28 Apr to 15 May 2018.
- The exercise is being held at Composite Training Centre, Maafilhafushi, which is about 145 km North of Male.
- During the exercise training on various diving related issues including use and maintenance of diving equipment, medical emergencies, etc, are being imparted to MNDF personnel.
- The Indian Ambassador to Maldives also witnessed the training exercise on 06 and 07 May 2018.
- IN ship Sumedha would de-induct the IN MARCOs Training Team from Male on 15 May 2018.
- The Joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives is an endeavor of the Government of India and the Indian Navy to ensure the safety and security of the vast EEZ of the island nation.