Question: What does ‘DEMU’ stands for?
(a) Driving Electronic Machine Unit
(b) Diesel Electric Multiple Unit
(c) Designed Electric Multiple Unit
(d) None of the above.
Related Fact :
- On July 14, 2017, Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu dedicated to the nation the first 1600 HP DEMU train with Solar Powered Coaches with a unique facility of Battery Bank.
- This train has been manufactured by ‘Integral Coach Factory’ (ICF), Chennai and it’s Solar panels and Solar systems have been developed and fitted by ‘ Indian Railways Organisation of Alternative Fuel’ (IROAF) Delhi.
- This first rake has been commissioned and based at Shakurbasti DEMU shed in Delhi of Northern Railway and will be put in the commercial service over the suburban railway system of Delhi division of Northern Railway.
- Twenty-four more coaches will be fitted with this system within the next 6 months.
- The entire electrical need of the coaches for Lighting, Fans and Information Display System will be met from the Solar Energy produced from the solar panels fitted in the roofs of coaches.
- IROAF has developed this system with a smart MPPT inverter which optimises power generation on a moving train to cater to full load even during the night.
- The system will help in reducing Diesel consumption and reduce carbon signature of these commuter trains by reducing CO2 generation by 9 Tonnes per coach per year.
- A solar power DEMU train with six trailer coaches will save about 21,000 Litres of Diesel and thereby bring cost saving of Rs.12 Lac every year.
- Notably, Indian Railways has set a target of 1000 MW Solar Plants in next five-years. Indian Railways is also taking several others environment friendly measures like Tea Plantation, Bio-toilet, Water-Recycling, Waste Disposal, using Bio-fuel CNG and LNG, Wind Energy etc.
- Northern Railway launched the first DEMU service on Indian Railways in 1994. Today, NR has 3 DEMU sheds having highest DEMU holding on Indian Railways. Shakurbasti DEMU shed of Northern Railway has been a pioneer in the field of green powered DEMUs – CNG & Solar powered.