Consider the following statements regarding digital bridge between India and Africa.
- E-VidyaBharti and E-ArogyaBharti will serve as digital bridge
- The goal of this e-network to provide tele-education and tele-medicine facility
Select the correct statements
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer –(c)
- On September 2018 External Affairs Ministry signed an agreement with the Telecommunications consultants India Ltd.(TCIL) to establish a pan-African e-network between the two nations to provide access in the critical areas of Education and Health.
- The E-VidyaBharti and E-ArogyaBharti project will serve as a digital bridge.
- E-VidyaBharti is web-based portals for tele-education which will connect to African educational institutions.
- E-ArogyaBharti is for providing super specialty Hospitals assistance to African Hospitals.
- Hence India has friendly relationship with Africa. The government has put Africa at the top of India’s foreign policy priorities.
- Prime Minister Modi in his recent visit to Uganda has laid out vision for engagement with African countries.
Why Africa is important for India?
- Crude Oil- oil holds central place in India Africa relations. Currently, approx 70% of India’s oil imports are coming from Middle East (mainly from Saudi Arabia and Iran).
- Maritime cooperation– There is growing convergence between Indo-African maritime cooperation due to the issues pertaining to both the countries like piracy, drug trafficking and security of sea lanes.
- UN permanent seat– Both India and Africa are keen to reform the existing global governance structures, especially the UN Security Council (UNSC).Africa plays vital role for India’s emergence as a global actor in the international institutional arena.
- Market-Africa is emerging as a large market which will benefit India’s investment export to African continent
By: Anurag Kumar