Question-Which of the following statement is correct?
(a)India has ratified the CTBT.
(b)India is signatory of CTBT.
(c)India has not signed CTBT.
(d)None of the above.
- UN chief Antonio Guterres reiterated his appeal to eight nations, including India and the US, to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.
- He said that the failure to bring CTBT into force undermines global efforts to ensure a world free of atomic weapons.
- The treaty can only enter into force after it is ratified by eight countries with nuclear technology capacity, i.e. China, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan and the United States.
- CTBT has an essential role within the nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation regime.
- The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) is the Treaty banning all nuclear explosions – everywhere, by everyone.
- The Treaty was negotiated at the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva and adopted by the United Nations General Assembly.
- It opened for signature on 24 September 1996.
- 182 countries have signed the Treaty.
- 154 countries have ratified the Treaty.