सामयिक विषय: Treaty & Agreements
Question: Recently, the Union Cabinet approved the signing of the protocol relating to amending of Convention between India and Portugal-
(a) Information Technology
(b) For development in tourism sector
(c) To prevent double taxation
(d) For technical exchanges in the agricultural sector
- On April 19, 2017, the Union Cabinet approved the signing of the protocol related to the amendment of the Convention to prevent double taxation between India and Portugal.
- This protocol will also ensure the prevention of fiscal theft in relation to taxes on income.
- After the protocol is implemented, the two countries will be able to exchange tax information.
- This will help tax officials of both countries to prevent tax evasion.
Delayed Payment surcharge Amnesty Scheme and Agreement between Central Government and Uttar Pradesh Government
Question:-Under delayed payment surcharge amnesty scheme, how much percentage relaxation will be available in the surcharge (for electricity due amount) on a lump sum payment to small industrial units?
(a) 25 percent
(b) 50 percent
(c) 75 percent
(d) 100 percent
- On April 11, 2014, the Uttar Pradesh government’s delayed payment surcharge amnesty scheme was launched.
- The purpose of the scheme is to forgive the surcharges imposed on the defaulters of the electricity.
- Under this scheme surcharge will be waived on the outstanding amount of electricity bills of consumers till March 31, 2017.
- The benefits of the scheme will be available in the domestic, commercial, private tube wells, private institutions and small and medium enterprises of urban and rural areas.
- Under the scheme, private tube-wells (rural) agricultural consumers will get 100 percent discount in surcharge and deposit the outstanding amount in installments.
- Small industrial units will get 50 percent discount in surcharge on one-time payment.
- On April 14, 2017, the MoU for Power for All (24 × 7) between the Central Government and Uttar Pradesh Government was signed.
- Under the program, the aim of the state government is to ensure electricity supply for 24 hours.
- Toll free number -1912 was issued for all the electricity consumers.
- On this occasion 8 transmission sub-station, 15 distribution sub-centers and installing of10,000 solar pumps, sale of 9-watt LED bulb and 20-watt LED tube lights and digital payment facility were also launched.
Question: Indian Highways Academy and the University of New South Wales signed a MoU to setup a Centre of Excellence? This Center of Excellence is for-
(a) Transportation System Center
(b) Center for Road Technology
(c) Advanced Transport Technology and System Center in Smart Transport
(d) Road Safety and Manufacturing Technology Center
- On April 10th, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Ministry through the Indian Academy of Highway Engineers and University of New South Wales (UNSW) to set up a Centre for Advanced Transportation Technology and Systems (CATTS).
- The visions for CATTS are as follows:
1. To accelerate the evaluation and adoption of new transportation technologies and explore market opportunities for them in India and Australia.
2. Conduct research, development and training in the areas of transport system modeling and data for smart cities.
- This would be the world’s first transportation centre involving two countries committed to seeing technological innovation for economic development through improved safety and reduced congestion.