सामयिक विषय: Planning & Project
Question: Tiwa is the name of a …
(a) Indian tribe.
(b) Indian folkdance.
(c) Northeastern language.
(d) None of the above.
- On 23rd February, 2017, Minister of State (independent charge) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel inaugurated the 9th Tribal Youth Exchange Programme under the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan in Delhi.
- Under this exchange Programme youth from tribal belts of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh will get to visit various places in the capital and know more about the culture and life style.
- During their interaction with the Minister, the participating youth shared their concerns and issues such as Naxal terror and lack of proper educational institutes etc. which are creating hindrance in their career progress.
- During their stay in the Capital, youth will explore the walled city and get to know more about the rich history and heritage of Delhi.
- NYKS has already conducted successful exchange programmes in 8 states. The current batch of around 250 students will also get to meet the President of India and share their ideas and stories during their stay in Delhi.
- It is to be noted that Tiwa is an ethnic group/indigenous tribe inhabiting the states of Assam and Meghalaya in Northeast India. A striking peculiarity of the Tiwa is their division into two sub-groups, Hill Tiwa and Plains Tiwas, displaying contrasting cultural features.
Question- What is the income limit for a person to be entitled to avail the benefit of Supreme Court’s recently announced Middle Income Group Scheme?
a) 60, 000 per month
b) 30,000 per month
c) 45,000 per month
d) 50,000 per month
• According to a press release issued by Ministry of Law & Justice dated 16th February, 2017, Supreme Court of India has introduced the Middle Income Group Scheme.
• It is a self supporting scheme which provides legal services to the middle income group citizens i.e. citizens whose gross income is not exceeding Rs.60, 000 per month or Rs. 7, 50, 000 per annum.
• The members of the governing body to whom the management of the Society is entrusted as required under Section 2 of the Societies Registration Act, 1860, includes Hon’ble Chief Justice of India as Patron-in-Chief, Attorney General for India as Ex-officio Vice-President, Solicitor General of India as Honorary Secretary and other senior advocates of the Apex Court as its members.
Provisions of the Scheme:
• As per the Supreme Court rules it is only through advocates on record cases can be filed before it.
• A sum of Rs.500/- shall be payable to the Supreme Court Middle Income Group Legal Aid Society (SCMIGLAS) as service charges.
• It is the Secretary, who will register the case under the MIG Legal Aid Scheme and proceed to forward the papers to the Advocate-on-Record/Arguing Counsel/Senior Counsel on the panel for opinion.
• If Advocate-on-Record is satisfied that it is a fit case to be proceeded with, then the Society will consider that the applicant is entitled to legal aid. The view expressed by the Learned Advocate-on Record will be final insofar as the eligibility of the applicant for obtaining the benefit of the Scheme is concerned.
• In case the advocate thinks that the case is not fit one for an appeal to the Supreme Court, then the entire amount after deduction Rs.750/- towards minimum service charges of the Committee shall be refunded to the applicant by way of cheque.
• If the Advocate appointed under the Scheme is found negligent in the conduct of the case, then he will be required to return the brief together with the fee which he may have received from the applicant under the scheme.
• However, the Society will not be responsible for the negligent conduct of the case but the entire responsibility will be that of the Advocate vis-a-vis the client. The name of the Advocate will, however, be struck off from the panel prepared under the Scheme.
Under the scheme, middle class people who can`t afford the expensive litigation in the Supreme Court can avail the services of the society for a nominal amount. The person desirous of availing the benefit of the Scheme shall have to fill up the form prescribed and accept all the terms and conditions. A large number of poor people would approach the Supreme Court for aid to sort out their cases, file cases on their behalf and get justice. This scheme will make filing petitions easy for the underprivileged strata of the society.
Question: What does SIM stand for in context to a mobile phone?
(a) Subscriber Identity Module
(b) System Identity Metric
(c) Shared Identity Module
(d) None of the Above.
- On 15th February, 2017, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India launched the initiative for providing pre-loaded SIM Card to foreign tourists arriving in India on e-Visa.
- This initiative has been launched in association with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited. BSNL would distribute pre-loaded SIM Cards to foreign tourists arriving in India on e-Visa.
- This facility will be initially available at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (Terminal-3), New Delhi and later cover remaining 15 international airports.
- This unique initiative will facilitate the foreign tourists in communicating with their acquaintances immediately after their arrival in India.
- To avail pre-loaded SIM Card, BSNL will collect e-Visa copy and the first page of passport from foreign tourists on arrival at the airport. This facility is only available for tourists arriving in India on e-Visa.
- SIM cards will be pre-loaded with a value of Rs. 50 talk time and 50 MB data and will be activated immediately.
- Earlier, the Ministry of Tourism had also launched a 24 x 7 Tourist Helpline 1800111363 in twelve foreign languages so that the foreign tourists can get the required information in their own language.
- It is to be noted that SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module. It contains subscriber information. It is used to identify and authenticate subscribers on mobile telephony devices.