सामयिक विषय: Short Notes
Question: The third National Dam Safety Conference was held in which of the following city?
(a) New Delhi
- On 19 February 2017; the third National Dam Safety Conference was organized at Roorkee, Uttarakhand.
- It was organized by Central Water Commission in association with Uttarakhand Jal Vidyut Nigam and IIT Roorkee.
- The Conference was inaugurated by Dr Amarjit Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development, Government of India.
- The conference focused on key challenges in dam safety field that are being encountered in the on-going Dam Safety Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) implementation. Sharing of the knowledge, experience, innovations, novel technologies etc.
- The conference received an overwhelming response with over 400 delegates attending and submission of over 70 technical papers from experts within and outside India.
- About 40 national and overseas organizations showcased their technologies, products and services through Exposition organized at the conference venue.
- The professionals from USA, Australia, Japan, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, and Germany attended this event.
- National Dam Safety Conference (NDSC) is organized in different States as an annual event.
- These Conferences propagate the concepts, techniques, instruments, materials, etc. for design and construction of new dams, as well as for monitoring, surveillance, operation, maintenance and rehabilitation of existing dams.
- The Second National Dam Safety Conference was held on 12-13 January 2016 JN Tata Auditorium, IISc, Bengaluru.
Question: Recently Ved Prakash Sharma passed away, he was a-
- On 17 February 2017; Popular Hindi novelist Ved Prakash Sharma passed away. He was 62.
- Some of his famous novels are Dahej Mein Revolver (Revolver as Dowry), Widhva Ka Pati (Husband of a Widow) and Dulhan Maange Dahej (Bride Asks for Dowry).
- Sharma had also written scripts for about half-a-dozen Hindi movies.
- His famous novels which broke many records and added to his popularity included “Qaidi No 100” and “Vardi Wala Gunda”.
- He has penned 176 novels.
- He has been honoured with “Meerut Ratna” award twice in the year 1992 and later, in 1994.
- He has also been an award recipient of “Natraj Bhushan Award” in 2008 and “Natraj Award” in 1995.
Question: Recently who has been selected for 26th Vyas Samman-2016?
(a) Dr Narendra Kohli
(b) Dr. Kamal Kishore Goenka
(c) Dr. Sunita Jain
(d) Surendra Verma
- On 16 February 2017; renowned Hindi writer Surinder Verma has been chosen for “Vyas Samman” for 2016, for his novel “Kaatna shami ka vriksha padma-pankhuri ki dhar se”.
- The K K Birla foundation announced the conferment of prize on the Jhansi-born 76-year-old, who will be the 26th recipient of the award.
- Selection committee constituted under the chairmanship of President Dr Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari of Sahitya Akademi.
- Besides Mr Tiwari, the members of the selection committee included Mridula Garg, Professor Ramji Tewari, Professor Pandey Shashibhushan Shitanshu, Professor Rajendra Gautam and Professor Suresh Rituprana, Director of K K Birla Foundation.
- He has already been decorated with the Sangeet Natak Academi in 1992 and the Sahitya Akademi Samman in 1996.
- The renowned author has penned famous novels like “Mujhe Chand Chahiyae” and dramas like “Surya ki antim Kiran se surya ki pehle kiran tak” and “Kayde hayat”.
- The award was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It is awarded annually for an exceptional contribution made by Hindi writers towards the language and his work published in past 10 years.
- The award carries monetary award of 3.5 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.