सामयिक विषय: Awards & Honors
Question: Who was recently announced to be awarded the Dada Saheb Phalke Award of the year 2016?
(a) Salim Khan
(b) Nitin Mukesh
(c) Prem Chopra
(d) Kasinadhuni Viswanath
- On April 24, 2017; the announcement was made to confer the 48th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2016 to the famous film director and actor Kasinadhuni Viswanath.
- As a director, he directed 50 films from Tamil, Telugu and Hindi cinema from the year 1965.
- His famous Hindi films include Sargam, Kamchor, Sanjog, Jaag Utha Insaan, Ishwar, Sur Sangam, Shubhkaamna, Sangeet and Dhanwaan.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri award in the year 1992 by the Indian government for his contribution in film production.
- Apart from this, he has been honored with 5 National Film Awards, 20 Nandi Awards (by the Andhra Pradesh Government) and 10 Filmfare Awards including Lifetime Achievement Award.
- His national award winner ‘SwathiMuthayam’ was the official film of India in 59th Oscar Awards.
- He was born on February 19, 1930 in Andhra Pradesh.
- It is important that Dada Saheb Phalke Award is given by the Indian Government for outstanding contribution in the progress and development of Indian cinema.
- The award was started from Dada Saheb Phalke birth centenary year 1969.
- Devikaraani was the first recipient of this award.
- Under this award, a gold lotus, cash amount of Rs 10 lakh and a shawl are provided.
- This award will be given by President Pranab Mukherjee at a function organized at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on May 3, 2017.
- It is worth mentioning that the year-2015, 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award was given to the famous film actor and director Manoj Kumar.
Question: Sahitya Akademi has recently announced to give the Sahitya Akademi Translation Award-2016 Aniruddhan Vasudevan for translation in which of the following languages?
(a) Hindi language
(b) Malayalam language
(c) Tamil language
(d) English language
- On April 18th, 2017, Sahitya Akademi has announced to give translation prize in English 2016 to Aniruddhan Vasudevan.
- Vasudevan will receive this prize for his ‘One Part Woman’, a translation of Perumal Murugan’s controversial Tamil novel Maadhorubaaga.
- The selection was based on the recommendations made by a jury comprising Malayalam poet and critic K.
- Satchidanandan, writer Githa Hariharan and translator and historian A.R. Vankatachalapathy.
- The prize is awarded to books first published during five years immediately preceding the year of the award (i.e. between 1st January, 2010 and 31stDecember, 2014).
- Vasudevan will be felicitated with the award along with the other winners of the Sahitya Akademi award in 23 languages at a special function in June 2017.
- Prize consists of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque and a cheque of Rs 50,000.
- Translation prize 2016 in Malayalam language will be given to N.K. Desam for his translation Geethanjali by Rabindra Nath Tagore.
Question-Winners of the Golf Industry Association Award 2017 include:
(1) Aditi Ashok
(2) Ali Sher
(3) Shiv Prasad Chaurasia
(a) Only 1 and 2
(b) Only 2 and 3
(c) Only 1 and 3
(d) 1, 2 and 3 all
- On April 20, 2017; Second Golf Industry Award was announced by the Industry Association in Gurugram (Haryana).
- The names of the winners in different classes are as follows:
- Outstanding Playing Career – Ali Sher
- Pioneer in Golf Coaching – Simran Singh
- Best New Golf Course – Glade One Golf Course, Ahmedabad
- Digital Initiative Award-Golfing Indian
- Best Golf Tour Operator – My Golf Tours
- Best Player of the Year (Men) 2016 – Shiv Prasad Chaurasia
- Excellent achievement as a player – Aditi Ashok
- It is notable that in 1991, Ali Sher became the first Indian professional golfer to win the prestigious Indian Open title.
- He was also given the Arjuna Award in the year 1991.