सामयिक विषय: Sports Personality
Question: Recently which of the following player has been banned for one year from cricket for a whereabouts clause violation by an independent anti-doping panel in Kingston?
(a) Dwayne Bravo
(b) Andre Russell
(c) Chris Gayle
(d) Marlon Samuels
- West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell has been banned for one year from cricket for a whereabouts clause violation by an independent anti-doping panel in Kingston.
- The ban is effective from January 31, 2017 and will last until January 30, 2018.
- A three-member tribunal comprising Hugh Faulkner, Dr Marjorie Vassell and Dixeth Palmer, a former Jamaica cricketer, found Russell guilty of being negligent in filing his whereabouts on three separate occasions within a 12-month period in 2015.
- In March 2016, the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission pressed charges of negligence against Russell for not filing his whereabouts on January 1, July 1 and July 25 in 2015.
- Because of this under the World Anti-Doping Agency rules – amounted to a failed dope test.
Question: Which magazine is reputed as The Bible of Cricket?
(b) Sports today
(c) The Cricketer
(d) None of the above.
Related Fact :
- As per news report published on 3rd February, 2017, Virat Kohli will be featured on the cover of the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2017 following a stellar 2016.
- A photograph of Kohli playing a reverse sweep in a Test match will be on the cover and word is that he is one of the leading contenders to be named Wisden’s Leading Player of the Year, an accolade put in place in 2004, when Ricky Ponting became the first honoree.
- The reason behind featuring Kohli playing an unorthodox stroke on the cover page, is to depict the way the game is changing.
- This comes after the Indian captain became the first person to be ‘the Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year for the second time’.
- Kohli made 1215 runs from 12 Tests at an average of 75.93 in the last calendar apart from scoring 739 runs from ten One-Day Internationals and 641 runs from 15 Twenty20 Internationals at a whopping average of 106.83.
- The 28-year-old also led India to three Test series wins last year against the West Indies (2-0), New Zealand (3-0) and England (4-0). After taking over the limited-overs captaincy from Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Kohli also led India to series victories over England in the three ODIs and three T20Is this year.
- Kohli becomes only the second Indian, after Sachin Tendulkar in 2014 following his retirement from the game, to be featured on the cover of ‘The Bible of Cricket’.
- The 154th edition of the Wisden Almanack will be published on April 6.
Question: Recently who achieved the World No. 1 ranking in the latest BWF World junior ranking?
(a) Bodhit Joshi
(b) Sanjay Srivastava
(c) Lakshya Sen
(d) Vinayak Mahajan
- On 2 February 2017; young shuttler Lakshya Sen from Uttarakhand achieved the World No. 1 ranking in the latest BWF World junior ranking.
- According to BWF current rankings, Lakshya has 16,903 points in eight tournaments he has played in the season while Chia Hao of Chinese Taipei is at the second spot, has 16,091 points.
- By the end of 2016, he was eighth in the rankings.