सामयिक विषय: Sports Personality
Question: Gayatri Pullela belongs to which of the following sports?
- National Badminton coach Pullela Gopichand’s daughter Gayatri Pullela has bagged the singles and doubles crown at the Pembangunan Jaya Raya Junior Grand Prix held in Jakarta organized between April 11 and 16, 2017.
- Gayatri won the girls U-15 singles title by defeating Samiya Imad Farooqui.
- Gayatri Pullea and Samiya Imad Farooqi defeated Indonesian pair of Kelly Larissa and Shelandry Vyola to won the title of U-15 doubles category.
- Both Gayatri and Samiya train together at the Pullela Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad.
Question: Which Indian players have been given the title of ‘Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World’ before Virat Kohli?
(A) Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag
(B) Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly
(C) VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid
(D) Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev
- On April 5, 2017; Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World title was given to Indian captain Virat Kohli for the year 2016.
- It is notable that last year Virat Kohli scored an average of 75.93 in Tests, an average of 92.37 in international one-day matches and an average of 106.33 in international T20 matches.
- Prior to Virat Kohli, the title has been given to Virender Sehwag (for the year 2008 and 2009) and Sachin Tendulkar (year 2010).
- It is important that this title was established in the year 2004; Australian Cricketer Ricky Ponting was awarded the title for the first time in 2003.
- It is known that the British annual sports magazine Wisden Cricketers Almanack has given place to Virat Kohli on the cover page of the 2017 issue.
- Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World (Female) title has been given to Australian player Ellyse Perry.
Question: What is FIDE?
(a) An International Chess Federation
(b) Chess Board
(c) Gaming Software
(d) None of the above.
- Chennais Srinath Narayanan is set to become Indias 46th Grandmaster after he defeated Spanish GM David Anton Guijarro at the ongoing Sharjah Masters 2017 chess tournament on 29th March, 2017.
- He had become Indias youngest FIDE-rated player in 2002 when he was just eight years old.
- He also finished as joint winner in the Under-12 World Championship in 2005 in France.
- Srinath became an International Master at the age of 14 and crossed the 2500 Elo rating a few months back.
- He had already secured five GM norms. He won his first GM norm in 2012 by winning the Asian Junior Chess Championship, which he won again the next year.
- The Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE)or World Chess Federation is an international organization that connects the various national chess federations around the world and acts as the governing body of international chess competition.
- FIDE was founded in Paris, France, on July 20, 1924. Its motto is Gens una sumus, Latin for “We are one people”