सामयिक विषय: Cricket
Question: Who amongst the following has been selected for the Man of the Series in the recently concluded Border-Gavaskar Test series between India and Australia?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Ravichandran Ashwin
(c) Ravindra Jadeja
(d) Cheteshwar Pujara
- On March 28th, 2017, India won the Border Gavaskar Trophy by 2-1, defeating Australia by 8 wickets in the fourth and final Test match.
- All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has been chosen for Man of the Series on scoring 127 runs and 25 wickets in this series.
- Jadeja also became Man of the Match in the fourth match.
- The first match of this series was played in Pune between 23-25 February, 2017, won by Australia by 333 runs.
- O’Keefe, Australian bowler who took 12 wickets in this (1st) match has been awarded with Man of the Match title.
- The second match of the series was played in Bangalore between March 4-7, 2017, won by India by 75 runs and K.L. Rahul became Man of the Match.
- The third match of the series was played in Ranchi between March 16-20, which was a draw and Cheteshwar Pujara, who scored a double century, was selected for the Man of the match.
- Highest run scorers in the series: 1. Steve Smith – 499 runs, 2. Cheteshwar Pujara – 405 runs 3. KL Rahul-393 runs
Most wicket takers: 1. Ravindra Jadeja – 25 wickets, 2. R. Ashwin – 21 wickets, 3. Nathan Lyon – 19 wickets.
- A numbers of records have been formed during this series which are as follows:
- It is the 7th consecutive test series victory of team India under Virat Kohli’s leadership.
- Team India has defeated all the nine Test teams in the previous domestic series. India after Australia and South Africa is the third team to do so.
- In the absence of Virat Kohli, the 33th Test captain Ajinkya Rahane, who hold the captaincy in the fourth Test, became the ninth Indian captain to win his first match.
- Cheteshwar Pujara scored 202 runs off 525 balls in second innings of third test and became the first Indian cricketer to face 500 balls in a single Test innings.
- India has won four out of the four Test series in 2016-2017 Season.
- Ravindra Jadeja is the third player who scored more than 500 runs and took more than 50 wickets, in a Season.
- Ravichandran Ashwin broke Dale Steyn’s (78) record of taking the most wickets in a season. He has taken 79 wickets in the season 2016-17.
- Total thirteen (13) series of the Border-Gavaskar Test has been played since 1996-97, out of which seven (7) series won by India, five (5) series by Australia while the series in the 2003-04 was a draw.
Question: Which of the following team won the Irani Cup-2016-17?
(b) Rest of India
- From 20 January to 24 January 2017; Irani Cup(2016-17) was played at Cricket Club of India, Mumbai
- It was the 55th season of the Irani Cup a first-class cricket competition in India
- Winner-Rest of India (6 wickets)
- Man of the Match (Final)- Wriddhiman Saha (Rest of India)
- Wriddhiman Saha scored unbeaten 203.
- Saha also became the first wicketkeeper to score a double-hundred in the Irani Cup and the first batsman to do so in the fourth innings in the competition.
- Cheteshwar Pujara was captain of the Rest of India team and Parthiv patel was the captain of Gujarat.
- Rest of India won the Irani cup for 26 times which if most by any team.
Question: Which of the following team won the 2017 Desert T20 Challenge?
(b) Hong Kong
- The 2017 Desert T20 Challenge was an international Twenty20 International (T20I) cricket tournament that was held in Dubai and Abu Dhabi from 14 to 20 January 2017
- The eight Associate Members that have T20I status participated in the tournament.
- Papua New Guinea declined to participate and was replaced by Namibia (who does not have T20I status).
- Final- Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai
- Winner-Afghanistan (10 wickets)
- Runner Up-Ireland
- Player of the Series- Mohammad Nabi (Afghanistan)
- During this tournament Mohammad Shahzad Afghanistan’s wicketkeeper-batsman become the first player to score two T20I fifties on the same day.
- He scored 80 runs in the semi-final win over Oman, and 52 in finals against Ireland.
- Coach of Afghanistan cricket team is Lalchand Rajput and Captain is Asghar Stanikzai (ODI & T20I).
- Nawroz Mangal captained the team in Finals.
- Recently Nawroz Mangal declared his retirement from the cricket.