सामयिक विषय: National
Question- On 17-21 April, 2017, the President of Nepal was on a state visit to India. The President of Nepal is-
(a) Ram Baran Yadav
(b) Sita Devi Bhandari
(c) Dr. Prakash Sharan Mahat
(d) Vidya Devi Bhandari
- On the invitation of Indian President Pranab Mukherjee, Nepal’s first woman president, Vidya Devi Bhandari, was on a state visit to India during 17-21 April, 2017.
- This is the first state visit of the President of Nepal after assuming office in October 2015.
- On 18th April, 2017, President of Nepal Vidya Devi Bhandari was welcomed with a guard of honor in the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- After this she went to Rajghat and paid homage to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
- During this visit, she met President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- Apart from this, she traveled to Gujarat and Odisha state.
- It is notable that being the closest neighbor, there is a friendly relationship between India and Nepal.
- Its boundary of more than 1850 km meets the five provinces of India -Sikkim, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand in the south-east and west.
- India continues to be Nepal’s largest trading partner, the largest source of foreign investment and the largest source of tourist arrivals.
- About 600,000 Indian origin nationals are living in Nepal as Nepali citizen.
- It includes business people, doctors, engineers, business people and workers in the information technology sector, who have been living in Nepal for a long time.
- Nepal is a South Asian landlocked Himalayan nation based in the Indian subcontinent.
- Dr. Ram Baran Yadav was the first President of Nepal.
Question- Where was the first ‘India Indonesia Energy Forum’ meeting held recently?
(a) New Delhi
- On April 20, 2017 the first meeting of ‘India Indonesia Energy Forum’ was held in Jakarta.
- In this meeting, Central Minister of state for Electricity, Energy, Mineral Resources, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and mine, Piyush Goyal and Ignasius Jonan Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources of Indonesia, participated.
- Before the Energy Forum meeting, meeting of the second Joint Working Group on Oil and Gas, the fourth Joint Working Group on Coal and the first Joint Working Group on New and Renewable Energy were held.
- During the Energy Forum meeting, reports of these three Joint Working Groups were presented before the counterparts of the two countries.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed on behalf of Government of India’s Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources of Indonesia in the Oil and Gas Sector.
- Under this agreement a co-operative framework will be established for mutual benefit.
- It is important that India is the third largest importer of coal from Indonesia.
- India imported $ 3.5 billion worth of coal from Indonesia in 2016.
- The bilateral trade between the two countries during 2015-16 was US $ 15.90 billion.
- In which Indonesia’s export was US $ 13.06 billion and India’s exports was 2.84 billion US dollars.
Question- Recently, how many millions of dollar of loan sanctioned by the World Bank to develop National Waterway-1?
(A) $ 275 million
(B) $ 300 million
(C) $ 375 million
(D) $ 425 million
- On April 21, 2017; according to a release issued by the shipping ministry, the World Bank approved a loan of $ 375 million to develop National Waterway-1.
- It is notable that the central government is developing National Waterway-1 (Gangetic) at a cost of Rs 5369 crore to develop waterway project for 1390 kms from Haldia (West Bengal) to Varanasi (UP).
- Technical and financial assistance from World Bank is being taken to complete the project.
- This project will enable commercial navigation of vessels with capacity of 1500-2000 dwt.
- Under the project, 3 multi-dimensional terminals will be set up in Varanasi (UP) Sahibganj (Jharkhand), and Haldia (West Bengal).
- On the other hand, two inter-model terminals at Kalughat and Ghazipur, five Being roll off and roll on terminal (RO-RO), and development of Varanasi Patna, Bhagalpur, Munger, Kolkata and Haldia boat service and vessel repair and maintenance facilities will be done.
- In addition to this, this project will enable Indian Inland Waterways Authority to establish Ganga information service system for NW-1 for the first time in India.
- River Information System is the equipment, hardware and software based information technology related services, designed to adapt traffic and transport processes in inland shipping.
- National Waterway-1 is the waterway of national importance which passes through Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- It passes through major cities of Allahabad, Varanasi, Ghazipur, Bhagalpur, Patna, Howrah, Haldia and Kolkata and contributes to meeting the industrial needs of the adjoining areas.
- It is important that the Board of World Bank approved this loan in a meeting held on April 12, 2017.