Question: In which of the following countries the lioness has given birth to two cubs through Assisted Reproductive Technology?
(d) South Africa
- Assisted reproductive technology(ART) is the technology used to achieve pregnancy. It is also known as fertility treatment.
- The scientists of Pretoria university, South Africa has got success in giving birth of two cubs (1 male and 1 female), born on 25th August, 2018, from lioness through the Assisted Reproductive Technology.
- According to the information given by Andre Goswindt (Director of Pretoria Mammals Institute) these cubs are healthy & normal.
- The scientists have collected the sperm from a healthy lion & transfer it into to uterus of lioness through artificial technique. This technique is helpful to save the species of animals which may be instinct in near future.
- According to International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), in 26 African countries the species of lions are extinct and in previous two decades there population has been decreased by 43%. Presently only 20,000 lions are left and efforts are on to save lions.