Backward Class, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Reservation Bill, 2017
Question-Under the Backward Classes, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Bill, 2017, how much the limit of reservation has been set, by raising it, for the backward Muslims and Scheduled Tribes in the Telangana state?
(A) 4 percent and 6 percent
(B) 5 percent and 10 percent
(C) 12 percent and 10 percent
(D) 11 percent and 8 percent
- On April 16, 2017; the Backward Classes, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Reservation Bill, 2017 was passed in the Legislative Assembly of Telangana State.
- Under this bill, the limit for reservation for backward (socially and economically backward) Muslims has been increased from 4 percent to 12 percent.
- Apart from this, reservation for Scheduled Tribes (in educational institutions and government jobs) has been increased from 6% to 10%.
- With the request to include in the 9th Schedule of the Constitution, this bill will be sent to the President’s approval.
- After the approval of the bill, the total reservation in this state has increased from 50 percent to 62 percent.
- It is important that 69 percent reservation in the state of Tamil Nadu is in place.
- It is notable that the Supreme Court has fixed the maximum reservation limit of 50 percent in the central and the states.