Daily : April 18, 2017
Question- On April, 20-21, 2017; at the coast line of which state, a comprehensive coastal security exercise ‘Sagar Kavach’ will be conducted to take stock of the preparations of various security agencies?
(c) Andhra Pradesh
- On 20-21 April, 2017, extensive coastal security excercise ‘Sagar Kavach’ will be organized to take stock of preparations for various security agencies on the coastline of Goa.
- This exercise will be organized by the Indian Coast Guard, Goa District Headquarters.
- The objective of this exercise is to provide uninterrupted security cover on the coast of Goa jointly by all the security agencies.
- Several agencies, including Indian Coast Guard, Indian Navy, Goa Police, Goa Coastal Security Intelligence Agency Mormugao Port Trust, Port Administration Department, CISF and customs will participate in this exercise.
- Since 2009, this joint exercise of all the related agencies is being organized under the auspices of the Goa government.
- Chief Secretary coastal security will inspect this exercise.
- This exercise was organized in the last month of November last year.
Question: Who has recently appointed by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik as the new Advocate General of the state?
(a) Vijay Bahadur Singh
(b) Raghvendra Singh
(c) Vinay Chandra Mishra
(d) Abhishek Kumar Singh
- On April 13, 2017, Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik appointed senior advocate Raghvendra Singh as the new Advocate General of the state.
- In this post, he will replace Vijay Bahadur Singh.
- It is important that according to article 165 of Indian Constitution each state will be a solicitor general.
- Just as at the central level the Attorney General is the first law officer of the Government of India, in the same way, the Advocate General at the state level is the first law officer of the state government.
- The Advocate General is appointed by the Governor of the State and he will hold the post till the Pleasure of the same..
- The same person will be appointed as an Advocate General who is qualified to be a Judge of High Court.
- He has the right to participate and speak in the proceedings of the Legislature of the Legislature of the State but there is no right to vote.
- Similarly, Article 7 of the Indian Constitution has arranged for the Attorney General who is appointed by the President.
- At present, the Attorney General of India is Mukul Rohtagi.
Question- Recently, under whose chairmanship the central government has constituted an inter-disciplinary committee to look into the existing structure of virtual or apparent currencies?
(a) President, SEBI
(b) Governor, RBI
(c) Special Secretary, Economic Affairs
(d) Chairman, CBDT
- On April 12, 2017, the Central Government has constituted an inter-disciplinary committee under the chairmanship of Special Secretary, Economic Affairs to look into the existing framework of virtual or apparent currencies.
- It is represented by the Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Financial Services, Department of Revenue (CBDT), Home Ministry, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Reserve Bank of India, Policy Commission and State Bank of India.
- The committee will complete the following tasks-
(I) Take stock of the current situation of virtual (apparent) currencies in the country and abroad.
(II) Will look into the existing global regulatory and legal structures related to virtual currencies.
(III) Suggestions for dealing with such types of virtual currencies, including issues related to consumer protection, money laundering etc.
(IV) Any issue related to virtual currencies will be considered if it be relevant.
- The committee will submit its report to the government within three months.
- Significantly, the operation of virtual or apparent currencies, called digital / crypto currency, is a matter of concern.
- Concerns about these currencies has been raised from time to time on various forums.
- The Reserve Bank of India has also warned about the potential financial, operational, legal, consumer protection and security risks associated with the use of virtual currencies, including the Bitcoins, holders and traders.