Daily : March 8, 2017
Question: Which of the below is the capital city of Portugal?
Related Fact :
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Renewable Energy between India and Portugal. The MoU was signed on 6th January, 2017 in New Delhi.
- Both sides aim to establish the basis for a cooperative institutional relationship to encourage and promote technical bilateral cooperation on new and renewable energy issues on the basis of mutual benefit equality and reciprocity.
- The MoU envisages constitution of a Joint Working Group which can co-opt other members from Scientific Institutions, Research Centers, Universities, or any other entity.
- The Cabinet also provided its ex-post facto approval for the MoU between the two countries for cooperation in the field of IT&E. The MoU was signed on January 6, 2017 in New Delhi.
- It is to be noted that Lisbon is the capital and largest city of Portugal.
Question: In how many states will the technical support be provided to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj by ‘UN-Women’ in strengthening capacities of governance institutions to better leverage opportunities created for gender equality as per a recent MoU approved by the cabinet?
Related Fact :
- On 6th March, 2017, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women).
- The proposal seeks to provide technical support to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj in strengthening capacities of governance institutions to better leverage opportunities created for gender equality through legislation, policies and programmes.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj and UN-Women have worked in collaboration with each other to promote participation of women in Panchayati Raj Institutions to focus on building capacities of Elected Women Representatives to empower them and enhance their effectiveness.
- The parties agree that engendering the initiatives of the ministry including capacity development efforts, will be of mutual benefit, and will further their shared mission of good governance, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- In the long run, it will enable an improvement in the status of rural women in India, as well as contribute to meeting India’s commitment to the Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), the Beijing Platform for Action and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The proposed MoU will facilitate the achievement of time-bound results in the implementation of specific activities identified jointly by MoPR and UN Women within the broader framework for cooperation under the United Nations Development Assistance Framework.
- Activities under this MoU will be implemented at the district and sub-district level in six States i.e. Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Odisha, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Question: United Arab Emirates established on December 2, 1971, is a federation of … emirates.
Related Fact :
- On 6th March, 2017, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the National Productivity Council and Al Etihad Energy Services UAE, to provide various services in the field of energy management and conservation.
- National Productivity Council is an autonomous body under the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- Under the MoU, the NPC will provide Energy Assessment Services, Training & Certification of Energy Auditors and Demand Side Management.
- Meanwhile, Al Etihad Energy Services will provide customer Support, all local support for Field Auditing Professionals, Training & Certification of Energy Auditors, and all support related to Demand Side Management of industries based in UAE.
- The MoU will enable NPC avail high value opportunities such as energy building and develop institutional mechanism in area of energy efficiency in Dubai and other Gulf Cooperation Council member countries. It will provide recognition and exposure to further build NPC’s capacities and competencies. MoU will be a precedent for engagements with other International collaboration partners and will enhance NPC’s visibility in arena. The MoU will help promote NPC in GCC member countries and will generate business for NPC in the area of energy.
- Apart from this, the Cabinet also provided its ex-post facto approval for signing of the Definitive Agreement on Oil Storage and Management between Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Ltd (ISPRL) and Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) of UAE.
- According to the Agreement, the ADNOC will fill up 0.81 MMT or 5,860,000 million barrels of crude oil at ISPRL storage facility at Mangalore, Karnataka.
- A major part of the stored crude oil will be purely for strategic purposes. The signing of the Agreement will augment India’s energy security.
- It is notable that United Arab Emirates was established on December 2, 1971. It is a federation of seven emirates.