Daily : March 1, 2017
Question: What is the theme of National Science Day 2017?
(a) Make in India: S&T driven innovations
(b) Science for Nation Building
(c) Fostering Scientific Temper and Energy conservation
(d) Science and Technology for specially-abled persons
Related Fact :
- National Science Day was observed across the country on 28th February, 2017.
- National Science day is celebrated to commemorate the invention of the Raman Effect as on this day in 1928, Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman discovered the Raman Effect.
- For his great success in the field of science in India, Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman was awarded and honored with the Nobel Prize in Physics in the year 1930.
What is Raman Effect?
Raman Effect is a phenomenon in spectroscopy discovered by eminent physicist C V Raman while working in the laboratory of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata.
Raman Effect is change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules. When a beam of light traverses a dust-free, transparent sample of a chemical compound, a small fraction of the light emerges in directions other than that of the incident (incoming) beam. Most of this scattered light is of unchanged wavelength. A small part, however, has wavelengths different from that of the incident light; its presence is a result of the Raman Effect.
Beginning of National Science Day:
In 1986, the National Council for Science and Technology Communication proposed to designate 28 February as National Science Day which the then Govt. of India accepted and declared the day as National Science Day in 1986. The first National Science Day was celebrated on February 28, 1987.
Purpose of the Celebration:
The basic objective of observation of National Science Day is to spread the message of importance of science and its application among the people. National science day is celebrated as one of the main science festivals in India every year –
- To widely spread a message about the significance of scientific applications in the daily life of the people.
- To display all the activities, efforts and achievements in the field of science for welfare of human being.
- To discuss all the issues and implement new technologies for the development of the science.
- To give an opportunity to the scientific minded citizens in the country.
- To encourage the people as well as popularize the Science and Technology.
Question: The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) came into existence on…
(a) 19th February, 2004
(b) 25th March 2005
(c) 17th September, 2001
(d) 1st August, 2002
- On 28th February, 2017, senior tribal leader from Chhattisgarh and ex-parliamentarian Nand Kuamr Sai assumed charge as the chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) in New Delhi.
- Mr. Sai belongs to Bhagora village of Jaspur District in Chhattisgarh. He obtained Post Graduate degree in Political Science from Pt. Ravi Shankar Shukla University, Raipur.
- Mr. Sai was elected to MP legislative assembly in 1977, 1985 and 1998. He was elected to Chhattisgarh legislative assembly in 2000 and was the first leader of opposition in the assembly. Shri Sai was elected to Lok sabha in 1989, 1996 and 2004. He was also elected to Rajya Sabha in 2009 and 2010.
- He has served as member of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Coal and Steel and member of the Parliamentary consultative committee of Ministry of Urban Development and Ministry of Social Justice and empowerment.
- Mr. Sai has been actively involved in spreading education in tribal areas and various movements to oppose atrocities and exploitation of tribal people.
NCST was established by amending Article 338 and inserting a new Article 338A in the Constitution through the Constitution (89th Amendment) Act, 2003. By this amendment, the erstwhile National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes was replaced by two separate Commissions namely- (i) the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC), and (ii) the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) since February 19, 2004.
The term of office of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and each member is three years from the date of assumption of charge. The Chairperson has been given the rank of Union Cabinet Minister and the Vice-Chairperson that of a Minister of State and other Members have the ranks of a Secretary to the Government of India.
NCST is empowered to investigate and monitor matters relating to safeguards provided for STs under the Constitution or under other laws or under Govt. order. The Commission is also authorized to inquire into specific complaints relating to rights and safeguards of STs and to participate and advise in the Planning Process relating to socio-economic development of STs and to evaluate the progress of their development under the Union and States. The commission submits its report to the President annually on the working of safeguards and measures required for effective implementation of Programmers/ Schemes relating to welfare and socio-economic development of STs.
Question: Who has been recently appointed as the new spokesperson of the External Affairs Ministry?
(a) Deepak Mittal
(b) Gopal Baglay
(c) Vikas Swarup
(d) Syed Akbaruddin
Related Fact :
- On 27th February, 2017, senior diplomat Gopal Baglay was appointed spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry succeeding Vikas Swarup, who was made India’s new High Commissioner to Canada.
- Mr. Baglay is a 1992-batch officer of Indian Foreign Service. He was handling the sensitive PAI (Pakistan-Afghanistan-Iran) division in the ministry till now.
- Apart from Spokesperson, his designation would also be Joint Secretary External Publicity (XP).
- Baglay has held many key positions including Director, XP, Director PAI and Indian Deputy High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- Deepak Mittal is the new in-charge of the PAI division.
- Mr. Mittal, who joined the IFS in 1998, has since served in Bangladesh, Egypt and Israel in various capacities and as Consul General in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. His last position was as Joint Secretary in CPV (Consular, Passport and Visa) division.