Monthly : December 2016
Question: ‘Swachh Swasth Sarvatra’, is an inter-ministerial joint initiative of which of the following two ministries?
(a) Ministry of Water Resources and Urban Development
(b) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
(c) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Rural Development
(d) Ministry of Rural Development and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- On 29 December 2016 Swachh SwasthSarvatra’, an inter-ministerial joint initiative between the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare was launched in New Delhi.
- The Union Minister, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, J.P. Nadda, Union Minister, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar, and Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Parameswaran Iyer were present at the launch event.
- Another joint initiative, ‘Swasth Bacche Swasth Bharat’, between Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Human Resource Development was also launched on the occasion.
- The objective of the ‘Swachh Swasth Sarvatra’ initiative is to build on and leverage achievements of two complementary programmes – Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) and Kayakalp – of the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and Ministry of Health and FamilyWelfare, respectively.
Question: Recently who has been appointed as one of the Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India?
(a) Dr. Viral V. Acharya
(b) Chanda Kochhar
(c) Usha Subramanian
(d) Arundhati Bhattacharya
- On 28 December 2016 Central Government has appointed Dr. Viral V. Acharya. as Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India.
- Currently he works as Professor of Economics, Department of Finance, New York University – Stern School of Business.
- He has been appointed for a term of three years from the date of his taking charge.
- Dr. Acharya will join on January 20, 2017.
- The RBI has four deputy governor posts, of which two are filled by promotions from within the ranks of the central bank. Among the other two, one post is to be filled by a commercial banker, while the other goes to an economist
- Reserve Bank of India is headed by the Governor and the post is currently held by economist Urjit Patel. There are 4 Deputy Governors R Gandhi, S S Mundra, N S Vishwanathan and Viral Acharya.
Question: For the Kharif Marketing Season (KMS) 2015-16 (October, 2015-September 2016), how much paddy in terms of rice has been procured?
(a) 342.19 lakhs tons
(b) 343.20 lakhs tons
(c) 423.19 lakhs tons
(d) None of the above
- On 26 Decemeber 2016; Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution released its Year End Review of 2016.
- Following are the related facts:
- The National Food Security Act (NFSA) was enacted in 2013 and was being implemented in only 11 States/UTs in May, 2014.
- As a result, 13 more States/UTs joined NFSA during the year and the Act is now being implemented in all the States/UTs and covers about 80 crore persons under the Act.
- Sustained efforts have resulted in significant reforms in TPDS making it more transparent and leak proof with better targeting of food subsidy.
- As a result thereof, 100% of ration cards have been digitized while 71.13% have been Aadhaar seeded.
- Online allocation of food grains has started in 29 States/UTs, Supply chain has been computerized in 19 States/UTs and 1,76,834 Fair Price Shops (FPS) have been automated by installing ‘Point of Sale’ devices.
- 6 States have now automated all their FPSs.
- Cash Transfer for foodgrains under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme has been implemented in 3 UTs namely Chandigarh, Puducherry w.e.f. 1-9-2015 and in Dadra & Nagar Haveli (in urban areas) w.e.f. 01-03-2016.
- Total beneficiaries covered under the scheme is 9.14 lakh and total amount of funds transferred is Rs.11.98 crore per month.
- During Rabi Marketing Season (RMS) 2016-17, Govt. agencies have procured 229.32 lakh MT wheat as on 01.12.2016.
- For the Kharif Marketing Season (KMS) 2015-16 (October, 2015-September 2016), 342.19 Lakh tons of paddy in terms of rice has been procured.
- In KMS 2016-17, 178.29 LMT of paddy in terms of rice has been procured till 13.12.2016.
- Government took a number of measures like providing financial assistance of Rs. 413 crore through raw sugar export incentive scheme.
- Financial assistance of Rs. 4305 crore under soft loan scheme has been provided by Government.
- 99.33% of cane dues payments of farmers for 2014-15 sugar season and 98% (on FRP-basis) for 2015-16 sugar season have been cleared. .
- Sufficient food grains are available in Central Pool Stocks of FCI. Stocks as on 1.12.2016 are 275.55 lakh MT (LMT), comprising 164.96 LMT wheat and 110.59 LMT rice which is more than adequate for Government welfare schemes as well as needs of PDS and other buffer stocking.
- To bring all operations of FCI godowns online and to check leakage and automate operations at the depot level, ‘Depot Online’ system has been launched in 31 Depots on pilot basis across 27 States on 17th March 2016.
- As on 30.11.2016, this system has been implemented in 494 depots
- FCI has developed a software for Online Procurement Management System (OPMS) which is being used for procurement in the KMS 2016-17.
- Buffer stock of about 6.95 lakh tonnes of pulses built under Price Stabilization Fund (PSF) scheme of the Department utilizing budgetary allocation.